Massage for Children with Autism
Massage for children with Autism Spectrum Disorder may provide relaxation, stress reduction and calm muscle spasm. Over time touch therapy may also help children to become more accustomed to tactile stimulation and aid body awareness. By incorporating massage therapy into daily routines, children with Autism experience decreased issues with sleeping.
Research has demonstrated that massage for children with Autism Spectrum Disorder may promote more on-task and social behaviour during play. Children show less erratic behaviour and are more attentive after receiving massage therapy.
This safe nurturing touch is beneficial in reducing inattentiveness, touch aversion and withdrawal.
The Benefits of Massage/Touch Therapy
- may provide relaxation
- may help child to become more accustomed to tactile stimulation
- may aid body awareness
- may promote more on-task behaviour
- may decrease issues with sleeping
- may increase trust and bond with carers
For parents & carers:
- may increase confidence in parenting skills
- provides a special time to bond with your child
- encourages and may increase communication with your child
- provides an opportunity to learn your child’s cues and unique forms of communication
- promotes the release of nurturing hormones and provides relaxation
- may decrease the release of stress hormone
Nurturing touch and massage therapy may also beneficial to children with a diagnosis of:
- Attention Deficit Disorder
- Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder
- Movement Disorder
- Sensory Processing Disorder
Appointments for massage for children with ASD are on a 1:1 basis.